How do you define your goals? Do you know what you really want? Most people can not answer this question but it truly is your key to having what you want. This section gives you some tips to help you define your goals. To start, get a new journal that you can keep just for your goals because you should add to it and change it over time.
1. Start writing! Make a list of anything that you think you want. Do you want to go to Harvard or do you want to travel to Italy? Write down everything that comes to mind. For some people, this is the hardest part. But, it is easy find out what you want because you know what you don't want. All you have to do is just choose the opposite of what you don't want. For example, if you say "I don't want have to worry about money", your goal should be "I want a life of financial freedom and happiness".
2. Organize your goals. Go through your list and put a date next to each one. Organize them with the following categories:
- Within 1 year
- Next 5 years
- Next 10 years
- In 20 years
3. Pick your top 3. In each category, pick your top 2 or 3.
4. Give details. For each of your top choices, describe them in detail, remember the more detailed you can get the better. For example, do you want just "a car" or do you want a car that is relatively new, has cheery red new paint, has a/c, is in great working condition with a warranty, has cream interior, and comes with a CD player?
5. Why do you want them? Now, for your top goal(s) in each category, describe 2 things:
- Why you want it and how you will feel when you achieve it.
- How you would feel if you did not achieve it.
Now that you know your goals and the ones that take priority, it is time to start working to achieve these goals. CLICK HERE for details on how to get it done.