The Herkey Jump is a very popular jump and is widely used for tryouts. As such, it is one that you should have in your skills list.
Herkey Jump Tips:
- The Herkey has one leg STRAIGHT out to the side with that knee facing the sky.
- Point your toes.
- The other leg is bent with the knee facing the ground. This is a jump that you can NOT practice on the ground but you can practice with a friend.
- Land with your feet together.
- You can do a variety of arm motions however the "T" motion is the most popular.
- Keep your back straight and head up.
Remember: The Herkey can be done with either leg as the lead leg. Usually, you will be better on one side than the other and that is ok. However, you should practice with both legs as the lead leg as you never know which leg will come up in a routine. Also, you can add a variety of arm motions to make the jump your own!